Image Map

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pepparkakor Cookies (Swedish Ginger Cookies)

  
  
Without a doubt, my favorite cookies are pepparkakor. They are a Swedish ginger cookie, and my grandma, mom and sister and I make them every year. It wouldn't be Christmas without them! I especially like to eat them with a cup of coffee. They are not too gingery and have just a hint of orange, so tasty! When I decided to participate in the Great Blogger Cookie Swap, I knew this was the recipe I wanted to share with others.

   
   This recipe comes from my great-grandma, Astrid Lovestrand, who came to the US from Sweden in 1930. Despite never having met her aunt and uncle, she and her baby girl left Sweden to live with them in Yakima, Washington. The YWCA helped her travel across the country, where she married my great-grandpa and had eight (!!!) children. Her story is pretty amazing, and was published in a book called New Land, New Lives: Scandinavian Immigrants to the Pacific Northwest.

My constant kitchen companion. 


Pepparkakor (Swedish Ginger Cookies)

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange peel
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1 tablespoons water
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves

1. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg. Add orange peel, corn syrup, and water. Mix well.
2. Sift together dry ingredients including spices,  stir into creamed mixture. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. On lightly floured surface roll to 1/8 inch. Cut with your favorite shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Are you interested in participating in the Great Blogger Cookie Swap next year? It was a lot of fun! You get to try new cookies, receive a few packages in the mail and donate to charity. Win, win win if you ask me. Get notified for next year by clicking here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.